Friday, September 19, 2008

Ode to fallen vehicles

In August I was in a car accident. I was hit twice by a semi on I-15 at 4:30 in the afternoon. We actually don't know who or what hit me because no one stopped, but judging by the damage to my car it was a semi truck. The driver probably did not even realize that it happened. I walked away from the incident with only a seatbelt burn. I would not call it luck as much as a huge blessing that the Lord was watching out for me that day. Unfortunately, my car was not so lucky. Even more sad was the fact that I just payed it off in June!

Me giving the focus a goodbye hug--it looks perfectly fine from this side

Damage to the front of the car


Damage to the back and side of the car

The semi completely ripped out this piece

As we started car shopping, Jonathan and I had the feeling that it was time to get a new car for him as well. Now, Jonathan LOVED his passat. He even kept a towel in the glove box to dust off the inside when we stopped at red lights. We had not had any major issues with the car, but a mechanic told Jonathan last year that the transmission may need to be checked. As everyone knows, fixing Volkswagens is a pricey business. Instead of waiting for something to go wrong with PJ (as we lovingly named him), we followed the promptings we received and traded it in. Now, we have two new cars. I have a 2008 Kia Optima and Jonathan has a 2007 Mazda 6. We have named them and they have been a great addition to our family thus far.

PJ

2 comments:

Maranda said...

Oh my gosh Mindy! How scary!! I'm sooooo glad you are ok! Curse the punk who didn't stop!

Melissa & Cameron said...

That is crazy! I'm glad to see you're okay thouhg. It's so scary being in an accident. I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who names their cars. My car's name is Nemo.